Change for UK citizens travelling to Europe from January 2021

Find Inspiration for your next windsurf trip

Search our stories and get inspired by our passionate team of writers, windsurf travel specialists, local experts and ambassadors.

Change for UK citizens travelling to Europe from January 2021

Travelling to Europe from 1 January 2021
Following the UK leaving the EU, and the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, it’s important that you’re aware of the changes in requirements that come into place when travelling to Europe from 1 January 2021, and how these may impact you if you’re a British passport holder if you’ve got a trip booked or just planning ahead.

Here you’ll find some key things to consider, along with links to the UK Government websites where you can find out more information.

Check your passport
You may need to renew your passport earlier if you’re travelling from 1 January 2021.

On your day of travel you’ll need your passport to both:
• have at least 6 months left on it
• be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left on it)

For more information see here.
(Please note this does not apply where travel is to Ireland).

If your passport is burgundy or has ‘European Union’ on the cover, you can still use it after 1 January 2021 as long as it has enough time left on it. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

To check your passport is valid for travel for where you’re planning to visit, click here.

If you need to renew or replace your passport click here.
Other things to consider:

• The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), is valid up to 31 December 2020 (If you’re on a trip to Europe that starts before 1 January 2021, you’ll be able to keep using your UK issued EHIC until the trip ends). So it’s more important than ever to make sure you’re covered by reviewing your travel insurance/healthcare cover before you go, particularly where you have any pre-existing medical conditions.  

• You may also need extra documents if you’re driving while you’re away, find out more. Check if you need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive to some EU and EEA countries, this can be purchased for £5.50 at the Post Office with a full UK driving licence.

• If you’re travelling with a recognised guide or assistance dog, there are specific requirements to consider too. Find out more

• Additionally, always check the latest ‘Foreign travel advice‘ in advance and just before you travel.

When these new changes come into place, we recommend you allow enough time at the airport to get through security and passport controls.